Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pink Lemonade

Painting number #10 for Affinity

I was in Wegman's and noticed a spiraled tower of those tasty lollipops we all have seen somewhere, or bought for charity purposes someplace else. The colors, surfaces, and overall character of the candies were really quite beautiful. In an instant, I became reminded of the jewels so intricately placed on the robes of the Madonna by Jan Van Eyck, the perfectly reflective glasses in still lifes by Willem Kalf, or the hand-wrought imperfect glass panels that fill modern architectural voids.

With these references in mind, painting this object became inevitable. Later that day, I opened the candy I had bought placed it in my mouth, pulled it out, and noticed the windows of the cottage where we live reflected into the wet red sugar. I took a snapshot of this and used it as the guidelines for this painting.

3 layer painting - (underpainting done with vermillion, black and white)
oil on panel
12.5" by 14.5"

No comments: