Monday, November 16, 2009

Hydrant

Hey guys, this is painting #9 for Affinity.


The painting is titled "Hydrant" it is executed with oil on panel. For this piece, I re-visited the first oil/glaze technique ever taught to me by Clifford Wun, a really great drawing/painting/design professor at RIT. Cliff really helped Lana and me get to where we are today, without his excellence in teaching, Affinity may never have happened.

A fire hydrant is a very symbolic icon, I wanted to really show-case the forms which come to mind when thinking of this object. I performed a fair share of idealization and simplification and in doing so, removed some of the gritty function the hydrant possesses. The positive space is rendered with painters like Ingres/David in mind with definite attention to color and surface, yet displaying these properties through a relatively linear pictorial form. The main role of the negative space is creating a silhouette to cleanly reveal the iconic shape, while bolstering the potency of the orange tones.

I always enjoy the idea of adding and removing function/duty through art, an example by Jeff Koons titled "Caterpillar ladder" where both objects are made relatively useless, which I find to be all together enjoyable.

No comments: