Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pound Cake


This is a pound cake! I baked this before I photographed it and painted it-- it was incredibly unglamorous (compared to finished painting), but delicious. Anyways-- this was the final painting made for our October show.

I wanted to use a pointillist technique to render out the many pores in the surface of this cake and make subtle distinctions in the varied microscopic landscape of the cake. I don't have anything incredibly profound to add, I just wanted to forget everything stressful and enjoy the cake, the color, and the process.

So next on the plate will be eventually creating more in this series. I would like to think that we'd hop on that right now, but we might take a break from this line of work for a couple of months. We're in the midst of a lot of stuff right now. We are working on some very traditional small paintings about the fingerlakes and western NY area. We're applying for a few group shows as well as widening the breadth of our work. We have some more Affinity stuff unfinished in the studio right this second, so it's by no means over! We'll be sure to keep you posted whenever something happens.

No comments: